René Magritte (21 November 1898 – 15 August 1967) was a Belgian surrealist artist. He became well known for a number of witty and thought-provoking images that fell under the umbrella of surrealism. His work challenges observers’ preconditioned perceptions of reality.
Kiss of the Cretaceous Spider
Wow. Talk about unlucky. A hundred million years ago, this prehistoric spider had just grabbed lunch, literally. A wasp had been captured and was about to become spider chow. Just then, they were both engulfed in a drop of tree resin, and preserved in amber.
Although the Jurassic Park-style DNA-from-amber tricks aren’t actually realistic (sadly), it doesn’t diminish the coolness of capturing a prehistoric moment in a fossil freeze-frame.
(via Discover Magazine)
the moment scatters itself in many things,
I have slept the dreams of the stone that never dreams
and deep among the dreams of years like stones
have heard the singing of my imprisoned blood,
with the premonition of light the sea sang,
and one by one the barriers give way,
all of the gates have fallen to decay,
the sun has forced an entrance through my forehead,
has opened my eyelids of its swaddling clothes,
has rooted me out of my self, and separated
me from my animal sleep centuries of stone
and the magic of reflections resurrects
willow of crystal, a poplar of water,
a pillar of fountain by the wind drawn over,
tree that is firmly rooted and that dances,
turning course of a river that goes curving,
advances and retreats, goes roundabout,
Bio: Born on January 3, 1892, J. R. R. Tolkien was an English writer, poet, philologist, and professor. More than almost anyone else, his cycle of works—including The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, and The Silmarillion—have left an indelible influence on high fantasy to this day. Tolkien fought in WWI, and taught at the University of Leeds and the University of Oxford. In addition to his fantasy work, he translated numerous works of Anglo-Saxon and Middle English. In 1972, he was appointed a Commander of the Order of the British Empire. He passed away on 29 November 1971, at the age of 82.
- The tombstone of Tolkien and his wife bears the names Beren and Lúthien, two characters from his legendarium.
- Tolkien constructed the grammar and vocabulary of at least fifteen Elvish languages and dialects.
- At times, he began classes by appearing in chain mail, bellowing the opening lines of Beowulf. “According to one of his students, ‘He could turn a lecture room into a mead hall.’”
- Tolkien was also very involved in reconstructing ‘extinct’ languages, such as Medieval Welsh and Lombardic. The poem “BagmÄ“ BlomÄ” (“Flower of the Trees”) might be the first original work written in the Gothic language in over a millennium.
- He has been published almost as prolifically after his death as he was when he was alive.
- Tolkien began work on The Hobbit early in the 1930s while marking School Certificate papers. He found a blank page and, with sudden inspiration, wrote the words, “In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit.”
The sun went down, and Morwen sighed and clasped his hand and was still; and Húrin knew that she had died.
[…“You are a very fine person, Mr. Baggins, and I am very fond of you; but you are only quite a little fellow in a wide world after all!”] “Thanks goodness!” said Bilbo laughing, and handed him the tobacco-jar.
From The Hobbit
Then shouldering their burdens, they set off, seeking a path that would bring them over the grey hills of the Emyn Muil, and into the Land of Shadow.
Frodo was alive but taken by the Enemy.
From The Two Towers
“Well, I’m back,” he said.
[Here ends the SILMARILLION.] If it has passed from the high and the beautiful to darkness and ruin, that was of old the fate of Arda Marred; and if any change shall come and the Marring be amended, Manwë and Varda may know; but they have not revealed it, and it is not declared in the dooms of Mandos.
From The Silmarillion
I’ve been puking since 6 and just now got the energy to smoke some weed and I feel a million times better. Why isn’t this stuff legal all over….? Don’t try to tell me that your bitch ass flu ridden self wouldn’t do anything to make that shit go away.